Wednesday, 26 February 2014

NYC: Mulberry Street

When I was in NYC last year, I was excited to visit Little Italy. I read a lot about this area in Lower Manhattan which is, unfortunately, getting smaller and smaller. We sat down at a lovely Italian place outside and had a delicious pizza. While sitting outside, I looked at the buildings with their fire escapes and thought about how the people lived in this street way back. Probably mostly in poverty, with not many belongings. I wish I could be transported to the past for just a little while to experience the tough life back then. Luckily, there are old photographs which I, as you probably know, really enjoy. 

Have anyone of you read the book 'How the Other Half Lives'? It seems very interesting. Or do you have any other tips for books about NYC? 


Mulberry Street now 


Mulberry Street around 1900 


In 1895 Gennaro Lombardi emigrated from Naples and came to New York where he made pizza in a bakery on Mulberry Street, using the same dough recipe his father and grandfather has used in Naples. Lombardi soon decided to sell pizza and in 1905 Lombardi's was issued a mercantile license by the City of New York, becoming America's First Pizzeria


Italian bread peddlers on Mulberry Street around 1900

1887: A group of men loitering in an alley known as 'Bandits Roost', situated off Mulberry Street in NYC. 

(Pictures from Pinterest)

You would also like

2 comments:

  1. Oh WOW! I would love to visit Little Italy! I bet the sights, sounds and food are fantastic. I've never been to New York. It's definitely a place I would love to go. Great pics.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is a lovely neighbourhood, too bad it is getting smaller

      Delete